/* */ vita graphein/-: Gotta take some gambles...

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Gotta take some gambles...

It had been a pretty active week, this last one which went by and was great too. I was taken to the manufacturing plant which services for Philips and saw a lot of assembly line manufacturing processes being carried out and how stuff is actually done. I mean, we always see products at the end or the halfway stage, but to see them start out from scratch was pretty enlightening. Well, they even bought us lunch (lol). My manager and me were out there pretty much the entire day, and we actually drove on I-90 (Interstate highway) which is directly the last path before the planes hit the runway (at O'Hare Intl airport). So, it was almost as if the planes were landing directly on the Interstate and boy, sure is so scary to see the belly of these planes like a few hundred feet above when you driving at 80-100 miles an hour. Its a stunning feeling though and we got (lucky) close to a couple of these birds when we went driving to the plant. I simply just almost begged for more..

Then after that, midweek, there was the intern outing about which I had written a couple of posts back (I think). We (all interns and some managers) went to Arlington racetrack (horse racing) and I had some awesome fun and thoroughly enjoyed myself. We all were given food coupons for some $15 and the entire place itself was pretty impressive. Guess what, we were also allowed to bet! Yes, and the cheapest bet you could place was like $2. I learnt a lot of these wagering terms and sure have become a little knowledgeable in that. Anyways, I started betting of course very conservatively, and also very stupidly, just going for the horses with the best odds and nothing else. Of course, for 4 straight races, which I bet on, I lost. Then I begin to understand the nuances, like the odds keep changing till the last 3 minutes. Then again, the history of the horse and the jockey, the current form, the track they running on (turf or dirt), number of them racing in that race, the mood of the horse (eh?!!)..and of course your instinct.. so there's a lot more than the odds just stacked on it. So, I began to play my cards safe, and started concentrating on the trends and was doing my calculations (lol). I did well to pick a race and horse I wanted and there are different kinds of bets also, so, I put my money on a horse and though I lost again, I was atleast doing something correctly (instinct told me). Whatever, stricken by losses, I used one of our food coupons to bet and also put a little more on a horse and put some 3 times more than what I had been putting so far, and this was my last bet whatever the result. Of course, I lived to see another day, and the bet paid off double as I had worked out and of course, it finally came right! It was a great day to be out and finally got back home as usual and had to get back to normal life again..

Also, sometime last week, I had been to the Marshall Fields here in Chicago and boy! This is the place for the brands, whether its Dooney Burke, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein...etc, etc. Stunning store and sure was impressive, but then again, for regular shoppers its no big deal, but for me (NOT a shopper) it sure was overwhelming. Then we also went to H&M and checked out some stuff as well. Great place if you have the money going.... well, I got to get going now